Friday, 1 November 2013

A Kid-Friendly Halloween Afternoon Tea


Halloween is not really a big deal here in Australia, though interest is increasing every year.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the scary-costumes and blood and gore decorations, especially not with kids.  I'm not fully aware of the history of the holiday but it did seem like an excuse for a fun themed afternoon tea play date with friends.
I compiled a list of all the things I'd found on Pinterest that I wanted to try and got cooking.  This, however, required me to purchase and cook with more sugar than we've had in the house all year! 
We did have a few of savoury options...Mummy pizzas ready for the oven...
 
And after I forgot they were in the oven!  Still tasty, though...

This pumpkin-shaped cheese ball was delicious...
 
 
And my famous chicken sandwiches made into ghosts... (these are the only things that weren't gluten free)


We also had some spider web cupcakes and meringue ghosts...
    

Some jelly and fruit cups transformed into Frankenstein's monster and Jack-o-lanterns, yogurts made to look like ghosts and Jack-o-lantern mandarins (none of which got eaten, surprisingly!).
Witches hats... (at least they're supposed to be.  They looked better on Pinterest, but these Baci kisses were the pointiest things I could find!)
 
 We had a "Decorate your own cookie" station...
 I made a bunch different shaped sugar cookies using this recipe with gluten free flour...
 And put out some different coloured icing and sprinkles...
 
They enjoyed eating their own creations...
 For drinks we had some juices dressed up to suit the theme too...
 We also had fun dressing up in costumes...
 
 Playing with our friends...
 I had the cutest lion costume for Rohan but he refused to put it on!
 And drawing some Jack-o-lanterns...
 
Did you notice our pumpkin?  The kids insisted that this year's look like Harry Potter...
 
Tell me, how did you celebrate Halloween?  What are your family traditions?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, Sarah. You make the rest of us look bad with all of these beautifully themed parties! How fun, though. Sabine would have loved to do something like this. Halloween is a mixed bag here, too. A lot of the decorations frighten her--last year I couldn't take her to the grocery store for the entire month of October because of a scary display they had on an end cap. But we do like the (non-scary) costumes, excuses to eat candy, and the pumpkin patches. Hope you are well! xo Cat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your messages always make my day.